Friday, November 18, 2011

23hrs to the Finish Line

Well, the bike is as ready as it's going to be. With all attachments & accessories, it weighs in at 19.24lbs. I don't know if it's just that the Talon has a bad chainline or that it doesn't like Mavic wheels, but with all variations of the Aksium & Ksyrium with a 25 & a 27 cog, the lowest gear rubs the inside plate of the front derailleur. There seems to be no way of adjusting it, the derailleur just doesn't move in towards the frame any more, and I've spaced the cassette as far out from the hub as I can w/o it catching the frame. After the race I'll throw on the Aerospoke with the 27t cog and see if I get the same issue. If so, I may just have to conclude the that frame itself has a bad chainline...or at least it's not meant to be ridden in the lowest gear.

I haven't done such a good job of eating or sleeping. Tomorrow I need to wake up EARLY so I can eat, work out the bugs, and get ready. I'm probably looking at 229, which is the same weight I was last week when I rode the course. I've got no one to fault but myself on this. I easily could've dropped 2-4lbs. Why do I make the choices I make??? Luckily this race won't punish me too much for the extra pounds, as the hills aren't very significant. Nevertheless, I really need to get my weight down. I want to ride longer rides, right? Well, the best, fastest, cleanest, and cheapest way to do so is to drop the weight of the rider...me!

Tonight I need to head to the gym for a sit in the hot tub. Relax & refresh the legs! Hot water & a good stretch are very likely to help my performance tomorrow. The plan is for me to wake up early, like 6am, so I can start eating & work everything out...stabilize my digestive system, so to speak. I'll ride the bike around to warm up & work on my cleat position/Q factor. Then I'll pack it all up & leave no later than 9am, putting us there no later than 9:45. Seems early, but with over 10,000 total racers, I want to get a spot up near the front. I'll get all my food & drinks ready tonight, including food & drink for before the race. I just don't want to have to poop while I'm there! All the spare stuff will be loaded up tonight. Helmet, shoes, etc--just in case something happens.

Given the number of racers on the course, a 17.1mph average may not be realistic for me, but my goal is still top 10%, whatever that happens to be. Of course I'd love to be in the top 100 riders, and any better than that is just golden!

Time to stop writing & start doing! Tick tock.

No comments:

Post a Comment